Well. That’s a mouthful huh?

I needed a way to monitor my network at home, so I set up a Raspberry Pi with Raspberry OS (really, Ubuntu for ARM but whatever). I then added InfluxDB, Grafana and Telegraf.

Setting this up this far took about an hour. Influx needs to be a specific version because ARM… And it’s a bit old, but works just fine. Grafana and Telegraf was simple enough.

I’ll make a full build guide one day, but here is my telegraf config, which was surprisingly complicated to get working properly.

This is written in the TOML language, which is more than human readable, but has a few quirks.

I had a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B lying around, so I turned it into a TOR node. Because why not? It’s dead simple. And TOR is a really important project for the continued ability for journalists to work unencumbered, for dissidents to reach out past their repressive governments, and so on. So, contributing is, I believe, important.

I added raspiinfo to the fb1 output (Adafruit 2.8″ PiTFT) as well for easy monitoring. It’s fun to see traffic flowing in and out. After the grace-period of 3 days, it was shoveling about 60GB of traffic/day. This is expected to increase to at least 200GB/day after about 20 days of operation.

I’m lucky enough to have a 1 Gbit/s fiber connection, so there’s plenty of bandwidth to go around.

My next project will be to run this tor node in a cluster instead. I have a feeling the lone CPU with 1GB of RAM for support, is going to get toasty, real soon. Not sure how to do this though, but I’ll tinker until I figure it out.